Whiplash is a condition generally caused caused by a strong, sudden jerk of the head. Symptoms of whiplash can vary, but many people who experience whiplash may feel pain, stiffness, muscle tightness, headaches and dizziness. These symptoms may sound manageable, but whiplash can negatively impact your ability to function at work and at home. In fact, whiplash can even impact your ability to sleep properly at night. If you’re diagnosed with whiplash, many traditional medical doctors will prescribe pain killers to mask the pain, however, there are more effective methods for treating whiplash.
Natural, Effective Healing
The following natural methods for treating whiplash that can reduce your pain and increase your comfort.
- Spinal manipulation: Spinal manipulation is the main method that chiropractors use to treat musculoskeletal conditions and imbalances. To perform spinal manipulation, chiropractors make gentle adjustments to the positioning of the vertebrae of the spine. By performing these adjustments, chiropractors can reduce pressure on the spinal cord. Over time, spinal manipulation can actually heal the injury, while reducing stiffness and pain in the back.
- Massage therapy: Massage therapy can be used to relax the affected muscles and increase range of motion in the spine. Massage therapy also helps to reduce pain and increase blood flow to the injured parts of the spine, thus speeding the healing process.
- Cold therapy, then heat therapy: Cold compresses are used to reduce inflammation, then hot, warm compresses can relax the muscles and relieve pain. It’s important that cold therapy come before heat therapy, because can expand the blood vessels and increase risk of inflammation if applied too early in the process.
- Exercises: Stretches and exercises improve range of motion for the injured areas and can also strengthen weakened, injured muscles. Over time, stretches and exercises can aid the healing process while simultaneously increasing patient comfort. As a bonus, many patients specifically enjoy performing therapeutic stretches and exercises because these activities can be done at home, which enables the patients to take control of their own healing process.
- Lifestyle changes: Often patients can exacerbate their own condition by unknowingly assuming harmful postures and participating in damaging activities. Many chiropractors help patients recover from whiplash by administering lifestyle advice that can prevent the injury from worsening.
If you’d like to know more about treatments for whiplash, there’s a wealth of informational articles online. You can also bring your questions to a chiropractor. He or she can tell you more about the condition and the best chiropractic treatments.
If you’ve recently been diagnosed with whiplash, your chiropractor can administer the five treatments mentioned above. If you’ve never been to a chiropractor, then now is the time to find a skilled, reputable practitioner in your area. For residents who live in Pittsburgh, Choice Chiropractic treats patients who have been diagnosed with a variety of conditions, including whiplash. Call us today for an appointment at 412-364-9699.