Technological advances are usually seen as a good thing, but sometimes technology can have a negative impact on the brain and body. In recent years, it’s been discovered that spine health can be negatively affected by the frequent use of hand-held technology. Understanding why this happens and knowing what you can do to protect your own spine is important for preserving your health.
Text Neck: Causes and Symptoms
Text neck is a condition that occurs when a person spends too much time looking down at an object. This problem has become more common as the use of handheld devices has become more widespread. This happens because the act of looking down puts pressure on the spine. Looking down too often can result in muscle strain, pressure on the vertebral discs and subluxations.
Symptoms of text neck:
- Neck pain: Neck pain is one of the first and most obvious symptoms of text neck. Often neck pain occurs while using mobile devices, though it can occur randomly at other times in the day.
- Shoulder pain: Neck pain can extend downward into the shoulders and in the upper part of the back.
- Headaches: Often neck pain can extend upward into the head, causing frequent headaches for the patient. This is especially noticeable when the patient looks down at a computer screen or spends time looking at his or her cell phone.
- Pain at the end of the day: People who experience text neck will often have muscle tenderness and soreness at the end of the day, especially if they’ve been looking at their mobile devices.
What You Can Do
The best way to avoid text neck is to avoid looking down when using hand-held devices and mobile technology. Use your eyes to look down and keep your neck in a neutral position. If you have time, do stretches before sitting down to work on a laptop or look at your phone.
If you work at a computer all day, consider getting a sit/stand desk to help keep your spine in a neutral position. Stand/sit desks provide options so you can work in the most comfortable and healthiest position possible.
Chiropractic Care Can Help
If you regularly experience neck pain, chiropractic care can help correct your problem and restore your spine to good health. At Choice Chiropractic, we use techniques such as:
- Spinal adjustment: With this technique, we use gentle movements to realign the vertebrae and restore proper function to the spine. Spinal adjustment can help relieve pressure on your vertebral discs and can also help ensure that signals from the brain reach the rest of the body, which can enable faster healing after an injury occurs.
- Stretches and exercises: We teach patients to do stretches and exercises that can help strengthen and loosen the muscles of the neck.
- Lifestyle advice: Text neck is a problem that can be avoided with small lifestyle changes. We give patients advice that can help them restore and maintain good spine health.
Contact Your Chiropractor At Choice Chiropractic
At Choice Chiropractic in Pittsburgh, we use all natural methods to help patients manage their pain. Spinal adjustment stretches and exercises, and lifestyle advice can help you avoid text neck and heal from old injuries. To make an appointment, contact us today at 412-364-9699.