Over-the-counter pain medication, such as ibuprofen or aspirin, is often the first thing people reach for when they experience back pain. While these medications may provide temporary pain relief, they really shouldn’t be used long-term.
If you tend to use over-the-counter pain medication as a way to treat your back pain, we encourage you to learn more about why this isn’t a healthy or effective way to find pain relief, and to look into other, more effective pain treatment options.
What Happens with Long-Term Use of OTC Pain Medication?
Taking an occasional ibuprofen or aspirin every once in a while usually isn’t problematic. However, long-term use of these medications can cause serious, potentially life-threatening problems.
Some of the problems that have been associated with using over-the-counter pain medication to treat back pain include:
- Severe gastrointestinal issues
- Severe ulcers that develop in the stomach
- GERD or erosion of the esophagus
- Increased blood pressure
- Impaired kidney function that leads to irreversible damage
- Increase the risk of having a stroke or heart attack
- Life-threatening side effects caused by interactions with other medications
The chances of you experiencing any of these side effects or problems increase with age, or if you take OTC medication in high dosages.
Natural Remedies and Chiropractic Care Can Help You Find Relief from Back Pain
High-dose aspirin and ibuprofen aren’t the only options for back pain relief. Both natural remedies and chiropractic care have proven successful in providing long-term pain relief to those who suffer from chronic back pain.
Natural remedies and chiropractic care allow people to get relief from life-altering pain without having to worry about experiencing some of the serious side effects and health problems that may come with using OTC pain medication.
Some natural remedies that have been proven successful in offering pain relief for back pain include:
- Massage therapy
- Low-impact exercise
- Strength training that focuses on developing the core or abdominal muscles
- Cold/Hot therapy – cold therapy is often helpful when reducing inflammation while heat therapy heals by stimulating blood flow, and helps reduce pain by dulling pain messages that are sent to the brain
- Working on lengthening the calf and hamstring muscles through stretching
- Chiropractic treatment that focuses on spinal realignment and manipulation
Combining Treatment Options is Often the Best Choice
People who suffer from back pain typically won’t find instant relief just by using one treatment option. Most people will need to use a combination of treatment options to find relief.
Visit us at Choice Chiropractic…
Here at Choice Chiropractic, we believe your body should always be performing at the highest level possible – whether you’re walking your dog, walking up the stairs or playing golf. Chiropractic care offers safe, natural treatment for patients of all ages. At Choice Chiropractic, we provide natural treatment for a range of pain, illnesses and injuries. To make an appointment at Choice Chiropractic, contact us today.