Uncomfortable pillows are one of the great causes of neck pain, so if you suffer from neck pain, there’s a good chance that your pillow is to blame. For many people, the sheer number of pillow types and brands available on the market can present a problem. It’s hard to know what to buy. In this post, we’ll discuss what to look for in a pillow and which pillows come the most highly rated among healthcare professionals.
When is it Time to Get a New Pillow?
Before you buy all new pillows, try evaluating the pillows you already own. Ask yourself questions like:
- How long can you sleep comfortably with that pillow?
- How many times do you have to wake to adjust the pillow?
- How long does it take to get comfortable with the pillow?
- How much pain do you feel in your neck when you wake in the morning?
If you’re waking up many times in the night to readjust your pillows, if your pillows are perpetually flat or if your pillows leave you feeling pain the morning, it’s time to get a new pillow better suited for your needs.
Top 5 Pillows
If you’re in the market for a good quality pillow, check out the following 5 top quality pillows:
- Mediflow Waterbased pillow. The Mediflow waterbased pillow contains a water chamber that can be filled with more or less water according to your needs. This customizable pillow can be adjusted for height, firmness and level of support. Because it contains a waterbed core, the pillow never deflates and automatically repositions itself as you move in the night. This pillow comes recommended by chiropractors and has been recognized for effectiveness by researchers at Johns Hopkins.
- Tri-core Cervical Pillow. This specially designed pillow comes in three sizes and two firmness levels to meet the needs of many patients. In addition, the special contour design can meet the needs of back sleepers, side sleepers, stomach sleepers and more. Tri-core is designed to provide support that prevents subluxations and neck pain.
- Smarter Rest Memory Foam. This specially contoured memory foam pillow is specifically designed to bring comfort to those who wake in the morning with neck pain. Memory foam fills in the contours of your body and therefore is effective for people who sleep in all positions. In addition, this pillow comes with granulated fabric on the outside to prevent the pillow from becoming "hot," as can happen sometimes with memory foam.
- Snuggle-pedic shredded style memory foam pillow. This memory foam pillow is made from shredded pieces of memory foam. Like other memory foam pillows, the Snuggle-pedic never goes flat. Compared to solid core memory foam, the Snuggle-pedic shredded memory foam is very flexible and readjusts itself all night long, to meet your needs while you sleep.
- Z Zoned Dough Gel Infused Memory Foam. The Z Zoned Gel infused memory foam pillow offers more support than standard memory foam pillows, which gives it an advantage over other memory foam products. Support throughout the pillow changes to accommodate your and neck, so each part of your body gets exactly the type of support it needs while you rest.
Contact Your Chiropractor for Neck Pain
Getting a good pillow may not be enough to take care of your neck pain. To truly fix your problem, consult with a professional. For a consultation, chiropractic adjustment and other services, contact Choice Chiropractic in Pittsburgh. We have the experience to help you find comfort at night and in the morning when you wake.