Many headache sufferers do not know about the connection between neck pain and headaches. They don’t know what neck pain and headaches have to do with one another, or that you can stop some headaches by treating neck pain. Understanding the link between these two problems and knowing what to do about it can improve quality of life for many people.
The Relationship Between Headaches and Neck Pain
Tightening of the muscles in the neck can lead to joint irritation and pain that radiates throughout the region around the neck, including the shoulders and the scalp. When the neck muscles become stiff, often because of injuries, lifestyle choices and everyday activities, this can lead to tension headaches. Tension headaches make up the majority of headaches that people experience.
Chiropractic Care Treats Neck Pain
Chiropractors treat neck pain and headaches using a variety of techniques. Below are just a few of the methods that chiropractors use to treat neck pain.
- Spinal adjustments: Spinal adjustments are the cornerstone of chiropractic care. Through spinal adjustments, chiropractors re-align the vertebrae of the spine and eliminate subluxations. Spinal adjustments allow for healing of injured muscles. In fact, in some cases spinal adjustments can lead to immediate pain relief.
- Massage therapy: Tightening of the muscles in the neck and head is often the cause of headaches. Massage therapy can relieve tension headaches by relaxing the muscles, improving range of motion and allowing the patient to experience normal movement again. When the muscles of the neck are injured, massage therapy helps increase blood flow and speed the healing process.
- Range of motion exercises: Range of motion exercises help stretch the muscles in the neck, thus loosening the muscles and allowing for more normal movement. Range of motion exercises also helps build strength in the injured area, helping the body to heal itself.
- Lifestyle adjustments: Lifestyle adjustments are sometimes necessary to relieve neck pain on a long-term basis. Chiropractors assess the cause of the neck pain and make recommendations for lifestyle adjustments based on the normal activities of the patient. Sometimes taking breaks during work activities or sleeping with a different kind of pillow can help the patients avoid neck pain in the future.
- Nutritional advice: Weight problems and obesity can cause chronic muscle and joint pain, including neck pain. Eating healthy foods can help heal injured muscles, contribute to over all health in the body and can help control weight gain, leading to lower amounts of pain over all.
Contact Choice Chiropractic
If you suffer from tension headaches, there’s a good chance that your headaches originate with muscle stiffness in the neck. You can reduce or even eliminate tension headaches by working with a skilled, knowledgeable chiropractor. If you live in the Pittsburgh area, contact Choice Chiropractic for an appointment or for more information.